Saturday, July 11, 2009

Update on the dancing gig

(c) 2009 Ms. Huis Herself at

I'm sure you'll all be glad to know I did my first paid BD gig, it went well, and my sword dance was super & very non-slippy-on-my-head! Yay!

We had to do some adjustments - tent had no sides & it was windy, so we asked & helped put up one side of the tent. That helped a lot, but there were still some wind gusts that played nuisance with our veil dances. The 5x7 stage was actually more like 3 1/2 or 4 x 10 or 12, so we had that moved to the back of the tent & just danced on our 5x7 rug on the (rather bumpy) ground. Better that way anyway, since we could go off it as needed without a 1" drop! :)

I was a bit worried about my sword dance in general & esp. with the windy. Practicing it last night & doing my one run-through today, I just wasn't finding the balance. Actual performance today though went really, really well. The sword felt very non-slippy on my head, in particular, and I even managed to do some floorwork successfully - I'd call it a sort of rolling over on the floor with a sword on my head and then standing up with it there, too, but that sounds stupid. Anyway, it looked impressive & I felt great.

Other songs were fine. My two no-prop ones were adequate, we didn't mess up our one actual duet (yay!), I think the one I zilled sounded cool, and my instructor's dances looked very fancy.

So, yay!

(Granted, glad to be done, but still, yay for it going well!)


Allknowingjen said...

Yay! So glad it went well! (you know, the more you do it, the easier it gets... ;) I fully expect you to be teaching someday too.

Pusher said...

Not at all surprised, but I'm still happy it went well!

Mugsy said...

Are there pictures.

(And I knew it go well...)