Friday, January 02, 2009

2009 Resolutions

(c) 2008 Ms. Huis Herself at musenmutter.blogspot.com

Ah, the new year... time for resolutions.

Here are my 2009 Resolutions:
  • To finish getting down to my goal weight and BMI of 24. I was so close last year (within a pound and a half!), then I slacked off on exercise & started eating too much junk food. The good news is that I still weigh less than I did last January, plus I know I can get there again, it's just going to take regular exercise & less junk food snacking.
  • To get better at tidying up and cleaning. This means trying to clean up more as I go, incorporating clean-up times into our routine (before meals, bedtime, etc.) with the girls helping, closing the cupboard doors (Hi, Dad! *grin*), doing the dishes more than once a day, etc.
And here's my big one...
  • To get rid of 365 things this year. They might be sold, donated to charity, given away to somebody we know, recycled or thrown away. They just won't be mine/here anymore. Bonus points for things that I put into use that had been tucked away in boxes or otherwise not used even though we own them.
Yup. I've got a bit of packrat tendencies. You just never know when you might NEED something! 'Course, if it's packed away in a box or put away in a closet & I can't find it or don't remember I have it when I want/need it, well, then it's useless to me. So I'm hoping this resolution will help me pare down my closet of some of the unworn, ill-fitting, out-of-date clothing, get those old college textbooks off my shelves, and pass on to others things that they can use that I'm not. I'm not talking about anything I love or use or value... just the "stuff" that accumulates over time.

I'm hoping one thing a day doesn't seem to overwhelming. Of course, it'll probably be in streaks as I tackle the bookcase or a closet or a box from the basement, but the sentiment is there. One a day. Hmm... today's the second, so I'm starting out behind, but that's fixable! :)

(BTW, I'm hoping my brother and his wife have a girl in March, 'cuz that'd really help with this resolution! *grin*)

So there's mine. How about you?

Edited to add: First thing eliminated... a old bottle of spruce essence, used in a grand total of ONE batch of beer, years ago, that we didn't like AT ALL. Not that I'm going to regularly post specifics with this 365 Less Stuff resolution, but I thought that one was funny.

7 comments:

Mary Beth said...

Can I suggest one of the Book Swap sites for getting rid of your books? All you have to do is pay for the shipping to send them to someone who is looking for those books and then you can get other books for free, which kind of defeats the purpose of getting rid of stuff, but at least you get new books you haven't read yet. And you don't have to pick your books right away - you can wait until you have space on your shelves and then get lots of new books:)

Ms. Huis Herself said...

Oooh! That's a good idea. Have you used one that you'd recommend? While I want to get rid of stuff, it's more that I want to get rid of extraneous stuff, stuff I just don't use/want/need anymore. That way there IS room for new books & stuff! :)

Syl said...

For the more regular cleaning, try FLYlady.net. I'm working her program (a little, but she's all about not being perfect) and it's helping.

Ms. Huis Herself said...

Syl, I've heard her recommended before & I think I'll have to take a look at it.

DiploWhat said...

I vote that you get one of those flat rate post office boxes for mailing stuff and send me your books. I have no access to books here except to buy them on Amazon and I hate spending the money. Not to mention I don't know what to buy. =)

Jaysan said...

Ah, good old Goat Scrotum Ale, I remember it. I can't believe it took you this long to get rid of the spruce essence!

Ms. Huis Herself said...

Jaysan - Good memory!! It'd've been tossed soon but we haven't made beer since we moved back here & it'd just been stored in with all the beer stuff. Mr. Kluges is planning on starting a batch of mead today though! :)