Monday, December 29, 2008

2008 in Review Meme


Syl over at Watching Paint Dry
was the first one to pull out this meme this year so I figured I'd jump aboard the bandwagon again. Here's last year's, in case you're curious.


1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before? Joined a CSA and so got a box o' veggies each week for 19 weeks!

2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? Oh, there's a whole post in this question - more for me to reflect than as great reading for y'all, though, probably. Overall I did well, with some room for improvement, toward which I'll continue to strive next year.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Our good friends TSB and Jaysan had a lovely little baby boy!

4. Did anyone close to you die? An uncle, but not one I knew. Hard on that side of the family though.

5. What countries/states did you visit? Just MN, besides WI here where we live.

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008? Some shelves in parts of my biggest low cupboards to make stacking the pots and pans and other stuff easier. Also, a bathroom and guest room that are actually painted instead of being in the hideous partially-peeled state they've been in for months.

7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory and why? Um... apparently none? 'Course, my memory resembles shifting sand dunes more than long-lasting etchable stone. Ok, well, Pumpkin's first day of school was beginning of September... and Penguin took her first steps during the last week of April... That's as concrete as it gets this year, folks.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Almost completing all my resolutions. I'd even gotten down to within about a pound and a half of my goal weight...

9. What was your biggest failure? ...and then between eating more junk food and slacking off on exercise, I lost ground. Disappointing, but I still weigh less than I did last January, so that's something anyway.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Only several dozen colds, most brought home by our girl who goes to school and is surrounded by dozens of other children and therefore lots and lots of GERMS!

11.What was the best thing you bought? A second car!!! Thanks again, Grampa Pharaoh aka Paaahpah, for finding it for us!

12. Where did most of your money go? The House of 42 Doors. And how! See here for the big ol' list.

13. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Penguin's first steps. Always a thrilling moment for a parent! Also, Pumpkin's first day of school ever. So exciting for her, and she loves it, and it looks like we made the right choice to send her.

14. What song will always remind you of 2008? Pop Fly. The girls loved it and requested it quite often.

15. Compared to this time last year, are you a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer? a) about the same. b) slightly thinner. c) about the same.

16. What do you wish you’d done more of? Exercising.

17.What do you wish you’d done less of? Whining, being petty, wasting time. Also, eating Halloween candy. Not that I didn't enjoy it...

18. What was your favorite TV program? I often watched one of the CSIs while folding laundry, but really enjoyed watching Swingtown and The Mentalist. We also discovered Sid the Science Kid, which I highly recommend for the kids.

19. What was the best book you read this year? Reading nonfiction was one of my resolutions, and I really enjoyed both The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals and The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary.

20. What was your greatest musical discovery? Justin Roberts. Thanks, Cool Mom Picks!

21. What did you want and get? That second car. Also, lots of the Xmas presents on my list - way more than I expected. Thanks, generous families!

22. What did you want and not get? Well, I wouldn't'a turned down Rock Band, or an elliptical, or sack of hundreds...

23. What was your favorite film this year? I think I saw two in the theater this year - The Dark Knight and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Since I've had a crush on Indy forever, I have to pick that one. Even though I never really like Cate Blanchett, I thought she was actually rather enjoyable in it.

24. What did you do on your birthday this year and how old were you? I turned 36 and enjoyed a lovely, relaxing day with the whole family because Mr. Kluges took the day off and Pumpkin ended up having a snow day. Plus, I didn't have to make supper.

25. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? A second bathroom? Winning the lottery? Oh, I know - not having to change any diapers.

26. What kept you sane? You all. No, seriously.

27. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Harrison Ford/Han Solo/Indiana Jones... even though he's looking a bit older these days...

28. What political issue stirred you the most? The elections were quite exciting, in case you hadn't noticed. :)

29. Who was the best new person you met? Probably Suzuri at GAW. *waves* Hi, Suzuri! But meeting our new babysitter was also a bonus!

30. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008. Um, it always takes longer than you think? Two kids are more than twice the work of one? Patience is a virtue? Sensible eating & regular exercise are important in weight loss? When in doubt, use the big bowl?

31. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year. "Time to get busy, such a lot to do, Building and fixing till it's good as new!" (Did I mention all the house projects that were done this year?!)

No comments: