Saturday, January 06, 2007

Books - Tigana

****************
copyright 2007 by Ms. Huis Herself
Please read this at musenmutter.blogspot.com
because that is the REAL site. Thank you!
****************



I Love Guy Gavriel Kay.

Well, his books anyway. Don't know him personally.

This is just one of the several I brought over. In one word they are... rich. They're sort of historical fantasy, if I had to give them a genre, I guess. The fantasy is light - magic, in most of his books (well, the ones I've read so far anyway) is rare, but the worlds are immensely plausible and intricate. The characters are complex and moving. To say the plotlines are multilayered is an understatement. In fact, when I came to the end of A Song for Arbonne, I actually said, "Oh!" out loud as what I thought was a throw-away character from the beginning showed up again, significantly.

You know how some writers take enough material for one book and stretch it out to be a trilogy? Or a trilogy's-worth and stretch it forever? Guy Gavriel Kay does the opposite. When you finish one book, you feel like you've lived in that world and known the characters for at least a trilogy.

I own A Song for Arbonne, Tigana, The Lions of Al-Rassan, and both books of the Sarantine Mosaic. (But I lent out the first one and don't have it right now. In fact, I don't remember for sure who I lent it to - Syl, was it maybe you?) They are wonderful and I've reread them many, many times.

If I've gushed enough, you might want to check out this site. It's the authorized website and includes some reading passages from his books, which are long enough to give you a nice sample of his prose and a sense of each book.

2 comments:

Syl said...

Still have your Sailing to Sarantium. Am keeping it safe.

Ms. Huis Herself said...

Super - I couldn't remember for sure where it was! Glad to hear it's got a good foster home there. :)