Friday, January 19, 2007

The bottom-most entry in the strange chips flavors, no matter how many others I try

copyright 2007 by Ms. Huis Herself
Please read this at
because that is the REAL site. Thank you!

Here's another entry into the "Strange Flavors of Chips" category. Previously, I'd mentioned Roast Ox , Steak & Onion Fajita, and Tiger Prawn with Crushed Garlic and Cheddar with Mango Chutney flavored chips.

They were all infinitely superior to this one.

According to my taste buds, Peking Duck & Hoi Sin Sauce potato chips are an abomination upon the world.

That's it - you heard me right. These chips should never have come into existance. I base this on the fact that I have eaten a grand total of two. (The first unsuspecting one to try them; the second a few days later just 'cuz I couldn't believe that I was accurately remembering the awfulness of the taste.)

They taste like... duck.

(Ok, yeah, hello, that's what the label says, I realize that, but...)

Not good duck ('cuz I have had yummy duck before). It's more like the overly oily, "how old is this?", gamy, suspect duck pieces you might get at a not-great Chinese take-away that you reheated in the bacterial-laden work microwave in the styrofoam container.


Yeah, that good.

So good, in fact, that none of us in the Huis/Kluges household like them - NOT EVEN PUMPKIN (who will eat some strong cheeses that us two adults won't).

So you know what? For the first time in my life, I think I'm going to be throwing away perfectly good (so to speak) potato chips.

'Cuz I'm never letting one of those chips cross my lips ever again. Blech.


Allknowingjen said...

But I love that you said "Chinese take -away" ;)

Kashka said...

'Tis a blessing for the world that the bag has the phrase "LIMITED EDITION" on it.

Ms. Huis Herself said...

You know, there are some phrases/terms that I know are going to stick in my vocabulary even after we return from Ireland, and I think 'takeaway' is going to be one of them. Like, after I was in New Zealand, the term 'camper van' replaced RV in my head. It's not like it happens on purpose; it just becomes the right term for it in my brain.

I think you'll have to point them out to me when it happens, 'cuz I never even thought anything of calling it a 'take-away' restaurant instead of using the term 'Chinese take-out.'