Thursday, November 10, 2011

NaBloPoMo #10 - What to Watch while Running Recommendations?

(c) 2011 Ms. Huis Herself at musenmutter.blogspot.com

So, I've been running for almost two years now (not counting my years of high school track, that is). I've run in four 5K races (two each year) and I'm happy with my times. I'm thankful for the Couch-to-5K program for breaking it into little pieces and proud of myself for following through!

I tend to do most of my running inside on the treadmill.  In large part, that's due to WI weather and the timing of my exercise.  I'd love to get outside more, but since I usually almost ALWAYS run in the late evenings after the girls have been put to bed, it gets dark pretty early much of the year.  Not to mention COLD for quite a few months.

(Yes, I have considered running in the mornings.  But then my alarm goes off and I laugh.  Well, if you can call it a laugh since it happens in the 0.5 seconds between when my alarm goes off and when I've hit the snooze.  Evenings work better for me, and as long as I start my run before 8:30, I have no problem falling asleep that night.)

But running on the treadmill can be boring. Sure, sometimes I watch the telly we have downstairs, but often there's nothing on the over-the-air tv that I want to watch.  A couple of years ago we managed to snag (on sale at Amazon on a deal of the day thingie, I think, which is unusual because we never watch that kind of thing closely), the complete set of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.  An "hour" of tv with commercial breaks turns out to be about 45 minutes, so it's perfect.  Each episode is complete in and of itself, but the characters/storyline continue.  It's ideal.

Except that I'm now in season 5...

...of 7.

...Which means that I'm starting to think about running out, and what comes next!

Since we're approaching the holidays, and the "what's on your Xmas list" season, I thought if I came up with a good idea, I could put it on my list and maybe Santa would bring it!  So, I'm asking y'all for some help - any recommendations on a good "hour"-long tv series, available on DVD, (preferrably complete, but that's not a deal-breaker),  that I should consider once I run out of Buffy?  Any/all suggestions appreciated!  Thanks!!!

1 comment:

Uncle TP said...

I really enjoy listening to This American Life or Radiolab (from WNYC) when I run. The stories are usually so compelling that the fact that I am running is forgotten.

Good suggestion for the Xmas lists, though!