Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Happy 40th, Sesame Street!

(c) 2009 Ms. Huis Herself at musenmutter.blogspot.com


It's true - Sesame Street turns 40 today! We sometimes catch a bit of it in the mornings, if we've got 5 or 10 between getting all ready and before it's time for coats and shoes and heading out the door. It's interesting for me to see the mix of old and new characters, different features, occasionally a piece straight from back in my day.

I've always had a soft spot for my lovable ol' pal Grover, the personality conflicts of Bert & Ernie, and I thought the Twiddlebugs were neat with the way they used real life things differently in their small lives with cars made out of matchboxes, etc. I thought it was so funny that Big Bird was the only one who every saw Mr. Snuffeaupagus, so everyone thought he was imaginary. You know, I think I had my first "jump the shark" moment when someone else finally saw Snuffy and realized he was really real. I might even occasionally be heard to sing the "1, 2, 3, FOUR, FIVE, 6, 7, 8, NINE, TEN, eleven, tweh-eh-eh-el-elve!" jingle around the house...

So, how about you? Since we ALL watched Sesame Street, tell us about one of your favorite vintage Sesame Street memories?.

And then maybe join me and Bert in "Doin' the Pigeon" 'round the living room.

2 comments:

DiploWhat said...

The aliens, for sure. Brrrr-ing! (when phone rings) Brrrr-ing! yep yep yepyepeyepyep uhhuh uhhuh. Brrr-ing!
I also sing the 1-2-3-4-5 song.

Mr. Kluges said...

Umm, don't mean to be a killjoy but "1, 2, 3, FOUR, FIVE, 6, 7, 8, NINE, TEN, eleven, tweh-eh-eh-el-elve!" actually came from The Electric Company