Sunday, November 21, 2010

NaBloPoMo #21 - Happy Birthday, Grandpa Pharaoh!

(c) 2010 Ms. Huis Herself at musenmutter.blogspot.com


It's my dad's birthday today; Happy Birthday, Grandpa Pharaoh! So, in honor of this auspicious day, I bring you three silly dad stories.

One of my nieces, for quite some time, honestly thought his name WAS Pharaoh, like the Egyptian rulers and in the Moses story in the Bible. Apparently she was quite surprised when she learned she hadn't gotten it quite right. :) In her defense, he does have an unusual name. (And yeah, that's where I got the idea for his blog pseudonym.)

Speaking of his name's unusual qualities, the receptionists at his work are often amused by the mispronunciations and mistakes regarding his name... but I think the best one so far was when somebody called and asked for "Squirrel" HisLastName. Collect any acorns lately, Dad? *grin*

My girls have lately been much amused to hear about a tease he used to do to me when I was their age. My favorite comfort item was a stuffed animal...made out of sort of leopardy print fabric, but with roundish doggy sort of ears... anyway, it's name is Leopard Kitty. (Yes, some of you college friends might have seen it... I even have a poster-sized drawing of it done by Indy resident "M. Schmeeel" when I was his RA.) My dad used to say to me, "I can't say 'Leopard Kitty;' I can only say 'Leo-pardo Kitt-ay!'" To which my young self would reply, "But you CAN! You just said it!" And my dad would, of course, repeat his statement, followed by a more animated & impassioned rebuttal by my young self... and repeat and repeat and repeat. :) My girls LOVE that story, so don't be surprised if they ask you about it at Christmastime, Dad!

So, Happy Birthday, Dad, and best wishes for many, many more! Love from us all!

No comments: