Monday, March 10, 2008

2008 List of Resolutions Update and Review

(c) 2008 Ms. Huis Herself at musenmutter.blogspot.com

It's now March and I'm looking for list-y things to do. Now, I could just keep copying AllKnowingJen, but, since we have so many readers in common, I thought I'd try to think for myself, at least for today. Not saying there won't be significant further copying of ideas as the month progresses... ('Cuz she rocks, and is smart and stuff, you know.)

So here's my list of 2008 Resolutions so I can review them, update you all on my progress, and further reinforce their important to myself with this public revisiting of them.


1. To reach an appropriate weight according to my Body Mass Index.
Well, based on my a-couple-times-a-week weigh-ins, I've lost about 3 or 4 pounds, depending on the day and all. Apparently either I or my scale have a fair amount of daily variation. While it'd be nice to be farther along, at least I'm heading in the right direction. Also, the couple-times-a-week weigh-ins help me stay honest and notice trends. Like, the "I love cream in my coffee and will have some every day" upward trend. Because it was followed by the "Black coffee is good, too, and I'll save cream for the weekends" recovery trend. :)

2. To get Penguin sleeping in her own bed.
Argh. Not so good yet. I know it's habit, not hunger that's getting her up in the night, but at bleary-eyed 1 am or 3 am or more often, it's so much easier to just bring her to bed and nurse her than to ride it out. However, based on reading about it over at Mary P's It's Not All Mary Poppins, as well as other sources, I checked out Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child and once I'm through that, I'm coming up with a plan and sticking to it. (Also, by then she should be done being sick, so we won't be contending with that, too.) I'm only about 60 pages in so far, but I wish I would have read this one months ago!

3. To get Pumpkin more independent with the potty.
She's doing swell. I need to remember to just let her have more time instead of rushing her through the post-potty steps and let her do it all herself instead of jumping in and helping because it's faster. Fortunately, she can just barely reach the taps at the bathroom sink. Unfortunately, she can't reach the toilet paper without having to hop off the potty first. So sometimes there's still a little help involved.

4. To unpack/look through every box before we've been in the house a year.
Again, progress is being made, if not as quickly as I'd like. Mr. Kluges has been doing better in getting us through this resolution than I have been; in fact, I think he's emptied several boxes just this week. I have, however, looked through and labeled a few recently (that had been sort-of-repacked in the move to the House of 42 Doors) because we don't have a good place for the stuff in them, but at least I now know what it is.

5.To read at least 4 nonfiction books this year.
As I mentioned before, I started with The Omnivore's Dilemma and proceeded to Siblings Without Rivalry. Based on Pusher's recommendation (and thank you all who gave suggestions - I may be trying a few more of them), I've gotten The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of the English Oxford Dictionary from the library, but haven't cracked it open yet. Instead, I opted for Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child first to help with #2 above.


So there we go - where I'm at and where I still need to go for all these. For most, it's slow but steady progress, which is hard to notice unless reviewed periodically, so yay for the gradual progress on #1, 3 & 4. I'll keep going on #2, which has had the least progress so far, but I'm doing prep work, I guess. Extra yay for #5, which I'm more than half-way to completion!

4 comments:

kittenpie said...

I compromise with whole milk in my coffee. Not as watery as drinking milk, not as rich as cream. It's quite a passable substitute, actually.

Allknowingjen said...

I'd say you are doing really well since it's only early March! That Weissbluth book is really a good one-a good approach without being too overly rigid. Hope your sleep plan works quickly and easily!

Pusher said...

Wow, good for you! That's a lot of progress considering we're not even three months into the new year.

Regarding #3, would a pedestal toilet paper stand help until her reach gets longer?

Syl said...

We did Weissbluth too and it didn't kill me.