Friday, March 14, 2008

I don't know the real name of this meme...

(c) 2008 Ms. Huis Herself at musenmutter.blogspot.com

This meme/list comes from AllKnowingJen over at The Bus of Love. Thanks, AKJ, for letting me not have to think too hard tonight!

1. WERE YOU NAMED AFTER ANYONE?
Nope, but one of the reasons my parents picked my name was that it was short and would be easy for me to learn to spell in kindergarten.

2. WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU CRIED?
Um, it's been maybe a week? I think I last cried in frustration/tiredness one night when Penguin Just.Would.NOT.SLEEP! And it's very possible I will tonight, because I am DONE getting up multiple times with her every night and tonight's the night I'm calling it quits and letting her yell until she fall asleep. Because she can, she needs to learn how to do it eventually, and the problem will not fix itself, much as I'd wish.

3. DO YOU LIKE YOUR HANDWRITING?
Not really. In fact, I'm sometimes a bit embarrassed by it. It's very messy, but that's because my thoughts are going too fast for my fingers to keep up. And if it's just for me, I often leave off the ends of words or use some of my own made-up short-hand. Which means that if Mr. Kluges is going to do the grocery shopping, he has to read through the list and make sure he knows what it says before he leaves or he ends up calling me from the store...

4. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE LUNCH MEAT?
Bacon.

What? It's on sandwiches! BLTs, club sandwiches, bacon cheeseburgers...

5. DO YOU HAVE KIDS?
Yes, and all you regular readers are fairly well acquainted with Pumpkin and Penguin by now.

6. IF YOU WERE ANOTHER PERSON, WOULD YOU BE FRIENDS WITH YOU?
Most of the time, but sometimes I'd get annoyed at me. Also, long stretches of time would go by because I'm not good at remembering to call/email/write.

7. DO YOU USE SARCASM A LOT?
Not with the girls because they wouldn't get it, but yeah, otherwise I do.

8. DO YOU STILL HAVE YOUR TONSILS ?
Yup.

9. WOULD YOU BUNGEE JUMP?
Yes, I'd give it a try, if I could convince myself to actually leap. I think I'd rather try sky-diving or hang-gliding though.

10. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE CEREAL?
I'm not real big on cereal these days. But in college, in my four years of eating at food service, I got to like mixing Cocoa Puffs and Peanut Butter Cap'n Crunch...

11. DO YOU UNTIE YOUR SHOES BEFORE YOU TAKE THEM OFF?
Usually - unless my hands are full with Penguin. Of course, a lot of my shoes are zip or slip-on.

12. DO YOU THINK YOU ARE STRONG?
No, but I wish I was. Not the kind of wishing where I'm going to go buy a weight bench, just the idle kind.

13. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE ICE CREAM?
Mmmmm... What isn't? I'd have to say I'm really, really fond of Mr. Kluges's homemade coffee ice cream, but regular mint chocolate chip and anything pistachio are good, too.

14. WHAT IS THE FIRST THING YOU NOTICE ABOUT PEOPLE?
Their expression - do they seem friendly or mean or welcoming or grumpy or whatever.

15. RED OR PINK?
Was so very definitely pink when I was younger, then red, now I do like both. However, I've got more red clothes than pink.

16. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE THING ABOUT YOURSELF?
Oh, I have to pick just one? Well, then, uh, my modesty. ;)

17. WHAT COLOR PANTS AND SHOES ARE YOU WEARING?
blue jeans, but no shoes currently

18. WHAT WAS THE LAST THING YOU ATE?
Pusher's Harira (Moroccan Chicken, Chickpea and Lentil Soup) from Recipeeps 4 Us with homemade bread dipped in garlic olive oil and the to-die-for balsamic vinegar

19. WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW?
Penguin's screams through the baby monitor. We're going to break her of her nighttime waking up and snacking habits. Because I'm absolutely, completely, and utterly tired of being woken up 4-6 times in the night, every night, by a child who no longer NEEDS to eat, but is just used to it. And since I've decided it ends now, tonight, I can't go in, because intermittent reinforcement will cause the behavior to last a lot, lot longer.

(So I might be doing more posting tonight to distract myself if I'm in danger of going in. Because that'll just teach her that if she cried long enough, we'll give in. She needs to learn that if it's nighttime, that's it, she needs to fall asleep because we're NOT coming in. Now, I just have to repeat that to myself about a million times as I hear her crying... *sigh* Maybe I should just turn off the monitor for a while.)

20. IF YOU WERE A CRAYON, WHAT COLOR WOULD YOU BE?
Oooh, I'd love to be that gorgeous and sparkly metallic silver... but I'd probably be some shade of greeny blue... or blue-green... or teal... or turquoise... or something.

21. FAVORITE SMELLS?
Lavender, popcorn, chocolate (mmmm), fresh spring air, clean laundry

23. WHO WAS THE LAST PERSON YOU TALKED TO ON THE PHONE?
Mr. Kluges

24. DO YOU LIKE THE PERSON WHO SENT THIS?
Yes, I think she's cool.

25. SCARY MOVIES OR HAPPY ENDINGS?
Suspenseful is good; gory is bad. But happy endings are always good.

26. LAST MOVIE YOU WATCHED?
The Illusionist

27. WHAT COLOR SHIRT ARE YOU WEARING?
dark brown

28. SUMMER OR WINTER?
I agree with AKJ - fall.

29. FAVORITE DESSERT?
Oh, some deep, rich, moist chocolate truffle cake type thing, with real whipped cream and strong coffee on the side

30. WHAT IS ON YOUR MOUSE PAD?
No mouse pad, just the desk

31. WHAT DID YOU WATCH ON T.V. LAST NIGHT?
We watched Lost, but it was through the ABC website because we can't get that channel over the air.

32. FAVORITE SOUND?
No crying? Please?

Um, the woosh of the waves on the North Shore of Lake Superior, the cry of the morning dove, Pumpkin's giggles and Penguin's chortles, the laugh Mr. Kluges does when he's surprised by something funny, favorite songs from my teen years playing over a store's sound system so that I keep accidentally finding myself singing along (fortunately quietly)

33. ROLLING STONES OR BEATLES?
You know, I don't/haven't listened to either very much.

34. WHAT IS THE FARTHEST YOU HAVE BEEN FROM HOME?
New Zealand

35. DO YOU HAVE A SPECIAL TALENT?
I've got a lot of minor talents more than one major special talent, I guess. And apparently one of those minor talents is answering short questions with long, long answers.

3 comments:

Allknowingjen said...

Have you tried the water bottle thing with Penguin? Where if she wakes up, you go in, but only with a bottle or a sippy of water- and she eventually figures out that is all that she is getting. The theory is that she will stop waking up if all she is going to get is water. Sorry, I can't remember where I read or heard about that...

Unknown said...

SO sorry for the whole sleeping problems! I totally feel for you. I must say I don't miss THAT part about my kids being younger AT ALL!

Anonymous said...

Number 24 made me laugh. Who's going to say "No. She's a pain."??

Hang tight with the sleeping. She'll get it soon enough (well, probably NOT soon enough for the woman listening to the wails) and you'll all be happier for it!

And yes, you might consider turning off that monitor... Or at least turning it waaaay down.